How can I communicate with “ghosts”?
By Charlotte O'Hare, Dip. C Hyp/NLP, author of “Meditative thoughts and visions”, available on Amazon.com
I've been a moderator on GhostVillage.com for several years. Over and over, people ask how to communicate with “ghosts”. This article defines briefly what “ghosts” are, and the basics of communicating with them.
The information in this article comes from my study of books, webcast interviews, and articles detailing the encounters of hundreds of people that cannot be explained by the conventional wisdom of the current or past generations. I've also seen the “ghost” of one of my cats the day he died, participated in “ghost hunts”, and encountered beings from “the other side”.
This article discusses the common situations in which you want to communicate with “ghosts”:
- A private session, where you are alone or with one other person
- A séance
- A paranormal investigation or “ghost hunt” This article does not discuss psychic readings.
What are “ghosts”?
Defining what a ghost has been covered in many books, debates, and discussions over the decades, without any universal, common definition found. Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition, does offer the following definitions for “ghost”:
- the seat of life or intelligence: SOUL;
- a disembodied soul; esp: the soul of a dead person believed to be an inhabitant of the unseen world or to appear to be the living in bodily likeness;
- SPIRIT, DEMON
Despite such definitions in dictionaries, skepticism as to whether “ghosts” exist persists. Views on “ghosts” can vary depending on the religion or philosophy of the persons participating, as well as their beliefs regarding the paranormal and esoteric. From my reading and experiences, I conclude that there are a two categories of “ghosts” that you can encounter:
- Non-interactive, non-intelligence recordings. For example:
- An event at a site can be so traumatic and significant, for example the war at Gettysburg, that a “recording” is made based on the energy field of the participants and locale, and this event can replay at least one time after the actual event has occurred.
- An energy field recording of a repetitive action. For example, a person may have done an activity so often in life, like for many years walking the same path to work, and his or her energy field creates a recording along that path.
In these cases, there is no intelligence, therefore there is no interaction that can occur; it is simply, as with a magnetic cassette recording, replaying the event or activity for an indefinite amount of time. Why recordings occur is a controversial, complex issue that is discussed in depth in podcasts like Ghost Chronicles International.
- Interactive beings
In this case, there is a being from “the other side” who can interact and react to stimuli in the environment. You can attempt communication with interactive beings such as:
- Positive interactive beings, like angels and spirit guides
- Potentially positive or negative beings, like a human who's body is dead, but whose soul, intelligence, and energy are still very much alive
- Negative interactive beings, like demons, poltergeists, and elementals
“Ghosts”, which I will henceforth refer to as “interactive beings”, have, like you, a source of energy, a belief system, hopes, dreams, insecurities, motives, and fears. This list only summarizes a few of the vast variety of interactive beings that you can encounter and with whom you can potentially communicate on “the other side”.
There are many books that can provide detailed, if subjective, information. For a list of a few, refer to the reading list at the end of this article.
Am I in danger when talking to interactive beings?
Not all beings are wise and wonderful, nor are they all evil and manipulative. You need to use common sense when talking with interactive beings, just as you would with the living. As on “this side”, the interactive beings that you encounter can have overbearing or underwhelming personalities. Some can take over your life if you let them and may repel or even frighten you. How much they can influence or control you depends on several factors:
- How confident are you in your own self worth?
- Are you surrounded by people who love and will protect you?
- How much control do you allow others to have over your beliefs and person?
These factors also determine how much danger you face from beings on “the other side”.
How do I contact interactive beings?
As previously mentioned, you can contact interactive beings in different settings. I discuss the private session, séances, and paranormal investigations. Some would say that you can only attract unpleasant interactive beings; but my experiences and reading lead me to disbelieve this theory. That said, when you seek to attract interactive beings for communication, you can encounter not-so-nice ones too, as happens in the land of the living. As you should give respect to interactive beings, so you should expect respect. If an interactive being makes you feel uneasy, end the communication at once.
Mind you, interactive beings are not on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There may be none present, or they may be present but unwilling to communicate. They are under no obligation to communicate with you.
I do not recommend communicating with interactive beings if you have been consuming alcohol, drugs or medications because they can impair your judgment. There is evidence that like attracts like, so if you enjoy drinking and are drunk when you attempt communication, you can attract interactive beings who also enjoy being drunk, and sometimes they can become attached to you. This attraction can unfortunately cause you to have an increased attraction to alcohol. For more information on this sort of situation, I recommend the books by Hazel M. Denning PhD and Louise Ireland-Frey MD listed in the reading list at the end of this article. I do not wish to discourage communication with interactive beings, and spirit attachment does not happen often; however, you should learn a bit about the subject to know how and why it should be avoided.
Communicating with loved ones
There is an energy connection between you and others. Remember how you sometimes call someone you care about and they say, “I was just thinking about calling you!” This connection does not end when either of you dies. If you are thinking of your dead loved one, they feel it. In fact, they may be around you trying to communicate. Because the Anglo-Saxon culture is based on the “I see, therefore I believe”, you may already be missing the signs and signals, for example the loved one appearing to you in your dreams. Loved ones can come to you in your dreams because it's a time when you're more receptive to unconventional communication. Once, for a week, I was thinking constantly about my Grandpa Art, missing him very much. One night, I saw him in his wheel chair at a big gathering. He waved to me and I felt relieved. To me that meant that although he was really busy at some family reunion on the other side, he was still thinking of me.
The day I had my terminally ill cat put to sleep, I was crushed with grief. I went home and to keep busy doing chores. As I was changing the bed sheets, I saw him clearly out of the corner of my eye walking out the bedroom door.
Not all loved ones come on command. If they do not give you any signs, it does not imply that the paranormal does not exist, or that the loved one is gone or does not love you. “The other side” is more elaborate than we can understand; there is plenty to do there, including meet-ups with family and friends. Time and distance are relative in a realm without clocks or physical form.
What tools can I use to communicate with interactive beings?
Any tools you use are just organic material and are not inherently evil; it's the intent that gets attached to them that makes the difference. Because most of us cannot easily see or hear interactive beings, these tools can raise the odds of establishing communication. No tool is 100% effective, because interactive beings, like cats, do not always come when you call, or pay attention to you if they do hear you.
People use the following tools to initiate communication with an interactive being:
- An experienced medium or psychic
- Talking boards, like the Ouija, which typically have letters, numbers, Yes and No written on them. A talking board can be seen by all participants, resulting in more witnesses to any communication.
- Pendulums, typically a crystal hanging from a chain.
- A glass and a table on which you have placed letters, numbers, Yes and No, commonly known as glass swirling.
- Electronic gadgets like a camera or a device, like a K2 meter, that is used primarily to detect environmental anomalies and can offer a means for interactive beings to indicate their presence.
- Your sensations and intuition
In this case, you are using yourself as a tool to communicate. You sit quietly and allow yourself to sense subjectively. Your intuition is a great tool for interacting with beings. We are all empathetic and sensitive to our surroundings to some extent. How well you can use that and interpret it depends on your beliefs and experience.This list is not exhaustive; you can find out about these and other tools that are available via books and the internet.
Making contact in a private locale, where you are alone or with one other person
In this section, I discuss the process of making contact when you are alone or with one other person to an interactive being, like a loved one, on “the other side”.
Before you begin
Before you try contacting interactive beings, I recommend that you:
- Use one or more guided meditation CDs to learn how to relax and focus your mind.
- Listen to CDs on how to contact positive higher beings, like angels.
- Read books and listen to webcasts and podcasts about communicating with interactive beings.
To establish contact in a solitary session:
- In a quiet place, relax in a comfortable chair if alone, or at a small table if you are with someone else.
- Establish your intent for the session. It should be clear and made with respect for all beings present, and with a sober, confident, and relaxed attitude.
- Use some psychic protection, for example:
- If you have a higher power, spirit guide, guardian angel, or loving ancestor on “the other side”, you can ask them for guidance and protection from negative and harmful beings.
- You can wear some protection from a talisman or religious symbol. However, this may only work on interactive beings who also believe in the power of such symbols and talismans. If they do not, you should not expect them to be bound by what you believe to be the “rules”. Some people believe that certain truths are universal, however I believe that there are no universal truths, only beliefs. If you believe in the power of an object, then I believe you can empower that object to some extent, but that does not always make your object invincible.
- Invite an interactive being to come communicate with you. You can use any tools listed in the previous section to help you. Whether you have success depends on your receptivity, and whether there is an interactive being in the vicinity who wishes to communicate. Always approach interactive beings on “the other side” with both respect and skepticism.
- When you have finished communicating, state out loud that the session is closed, and that everyone must return “home”.
Making contact at a séance
At a séance, typically there is at least one medium or psychic to guide the event, and you may or may not use tools.
- A group sits at a table and perhaps hold hands, which creates a collective strength and focus.
- The group says a prayer or invocation for protection from a higher power. If the group does not, you can discretely ask for protection for yourself and the group.
- The medium or psychic relaxes and focuses their mind to open their energy field so that they can sense any interactive beings who wish to communicate.
- The medium or psychic shares information and sensations to the people in the circle. They may ask for people in the circle to share what they are experiencing.
- At the end of the séance, the medium or psychic closes the communication and invokes protection for those who have participated. If not, you can discretely close the communication and invoke protection for yourself and the group.
Making contact at a paranormal investigation
At a paranormal investigation, or “ghost hunt”, investigators intend to gather quantifiable data that indicates paranormal activity. I recommend you take a notebook so that you can write down your impressions and experiences to share with the group.
Your safety is a top priority:
- Wear warm, comfortable clothing.
- Because paranormal investigations are often in poorly lit locales with uneven and even slippery floors, carry a flashlight, preferably with a red light bulb so that your night vision is preserved.
- Do not drink any alcohol until after the formal investigation is over. If you require strong medications, then you should not participate in investigations in locations that have drastic temperatures, lighting, or altitudes. Do not take illegal drugs at any point in an investigation situation.
At a paranormal investigation:
- The group may gather in a circle and say a prayer or invocation for protection from a higher power. If it does not, then you can discretely do this for yourself and the group.
- Great care is first taken to determine the quantifiable environmental influences in the locale. Sometimes a cold spot may be a sign that there is a being from “the other side', however, you first verify that you are not standing near an air vent.
- Use the tools listed earlier in this article to initiate communication. If you believe that there will be interactive beings that are children, you can bring toys and candy to tempt them to interact with you. Musical instruments and singing can also encourage interaction.
- A large group can be split up into sub-groups, and then each sub-group is stationed in a different area of the locale. The small groups may change stations so that each can note down observations and compare notes later in hopes of finding similar experiences.
- At the end of the investigation, people gather to give their data, relax, and share some refreshments.
- The group may have a closure ceremony, either a prayer or invocation of protection against any interactive beings following you home. If the group doesn't do any form of closure, you can discretely close the communication and invoke protection for yourself and the group.
I do not recommend taking items for souvenirs from a locale, because it can provide an energy link, and is considered theft by owners of the locale used for the paranormal investigation.
Why do I want closure after communicating with an interactive being?
Gee, why would I want to send them off or leave them behind? It would be cool to have an interactive being stay with me. Interactive beings are not pets or slaves: they are separate, intelligent beings. If you do not close the communication correctly, they may choose to stay with you all the time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yup, even when you're in the bathroom. Unfortunately energy beings without a body cannot always be shoved out the front door and then the door bolted. For this reason, your intent in contact situations is very important. When you set a clear intention at the beginning and end of an event, you are defining clearly for yourself and others the limits that are acceptable to you. If there was no initial intention set, then you can still discretely state your decision that the communication is closed.
There are no rules set in stone, but being self-confident and calm helps keep you grounded and safe.
It's unfortunate that perpetual skepticism means that the burden of proof is on those who believe that “ghosts” are real. You may not believe in “ghosts”. My intention when writing this article (yup, I set an intention), was not to make you believe they exist. Even though you may not believe that something is real, it can still be real to others. I can respect your right to believe that interactive beings are not real, and expect that you in turn will respect the right of others, like me, to believe that they are real. There are many research papers and books over the decades that have been published that detail the proof that there are interactive beings, and based on that proof alone, even if you are skeptical, you should approach any situations where people are attempting communication with respect.
We can learn so much from “the other side” about other beings, other places, and even ourselves. Through the ages, people have received inspiration, information, and even warnings of danger. On the flip side, people have been frightened, confused, and misinformed through interaction with “the other side”. Communicating with interactive beings, when done properly, offers you another way of understanding the universe.
For more information
Useful internet sites
A list of internet sites that I visit most often:
◦ Paranormal Team [UK] (http://www.paranormalteam.uk/index.php)
◦ GhostVillage (www.GhostVillage.com)
◦ New England Ghost Project – Paranormal investigations
◦ Jeff Belanger - Author, Lecturer, Talk Show Host, and Legend Tripper
◦ Hollow Hill - Paranormal Research by Fiona Broome (http://www.hollowhill.com/)
Hopkins, Linda M. Medium & Psychic Development
This list includes some of the books that I have read that offer information on the paranormal and communication with interactive beings. There are many more, so you can use this list as a starting point.
Belanger, Jeff. 2011. Picture Yourself Legend Tripping. Boston: Course Technology, a part of CENGAGE Learning
Bodine, Echo. 2000. Relax, it's only a ghost. Boston: Element Books, Inc.
Denning, Hazel M. PhD. 1998. True Hauntings; Spirits with a Purpose, 3 edition. St Paul:
Ireland-Frey, Louise MD. 1999. Freeing the Captives. Charlottesville: Hampton Roads Publishing
Steiger, Brad. 2001. Out of the Dark; The complete guide to beings from beyond. New York:
Kensington Publishing Corp.
Wood, Maureen, Kolek, Ron. 2009. The Ghost Chronicles. Naperville: Sourcebooks, Inc.